Friday, September 2, 2011

I didn't get the memo...



Austin and I stayed in Coeur d'Alene and Seattle for a couple months when Sammy was a year and a half old. In Seattle we stayed close to the Children's Museum, so I got a membership and strollered over there every day. It was fun, but I felt a little out of it as I observed the other moms. Maybe it was because I lived in the backwater state of Montana, but I seemed to have missed the memo that we mothers with small kids have to show a significant amount of cleavage and sport a nose stud to prove (however desperately) that we are still cool and sexy, even though we are at a children's museum in the middle of the morning.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't pack my push-up bra and my husband has forbidden me from ever getting a nose stud. He thinks they're gross. (And I think they have the unfortunate tedancy to look like large zits.) Anyway, I realized I just was not ever going to fit in when a bunch of people at the museum started exclaiming over a little kid's outfit and how cute and amazing it was. This kid was completely dressed in white, people. Not only is it completely impractical when it comes to keeping the kid clean, it's gender neutral (hence your child gets called "kid") and could potentially lead to some sort of Jesus complex down the line.

So here I am. My kids don't wear white. I don't sport cleavage, especially in January in Seattle. I don't like to pick my nose every time I put my jewelry on for the day. But you know what? I think the world has enough moms who got the cool and sexy memo. Add me to the nerd list, because that's where I belong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment