Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Run, Forrest, Run!


Running. Ugh.

That has been my attitude for most of my life, probably because I'm not a very good runner. I just feel really awkward when I run, and I really don't like running outside because I feel like people are watching me. In college I went to the gym almost every night and would run a mile or two as part of my workout, but that was just a sacrifice to look good for the men.  I've philosophized that running has become very trendy in the last little while because it is a physical manifestation of how we fill our lives with things to do but never actually accomplish anything important...you know, we are running in circles with no particular destination, but feeling good about ourselves while we are doing it. You think I'm overthinking this? I understand people who run to get in shape. I like that cool feeling when you get off the treadmill and start walking but can't feel your legs. I understand people who run to get away from life for a little while. But I really don't understand people who run for fun.

I personally would be fine the rest of my life to just walk fast to where I need to go, but I'm committed to do the Dirty Dash 5k with my friend Sara next Saturday. It looks like a lot of fun, but I have felt like I should do some sort of training for it, so I've been pushing a double stroller all over God's green hills and running a little bit in the park when it is empty. Last night I decided to go to our community center and run on the treadmill to see how long it would actually take me to complete a 3.125 mile run. Well, I only went 3 miles, (My face gets really red when I run--yet another reason to walk--and the two very fit ladies on the ellipticals behind me were starting to look concerned) and that was with me walking fast a lot and running a little. It took me 40 minutes. Not stellar, people.  Is it lame to dream of someday running a 10-minute mile? I think if you're so bad that that's your goal, you should just stick to walking fast. Which I fully intend to do, right after next Saturday.

3 comments:

Write for the generations! said...

here here!!!
I whole heartedly agree!!!
I admire you for doing the dirty dash!!!!

AC said...

Ditch your shoes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE

Apryl said...

Ummmmm…..Anona….. I thought we were friends.

Here's why I run:

I admit it. I run for fun (and for trophies). I don't really run to be cool or because it is a fad but more because for me it just makes me happy when I do. It started out as a quest for some sanity after Gage was born. Just 30 minutes where I didn't have any kids or husband needing all my attention and then somewhere along the way I fell in love with it.

Oh and I watched Run, Fat Boy, Run. I <3 Simon Pegg.

I hope you have a great time doing the Dirty Dash. I've wanted to do one for a while.

Apes

Post a Comment