Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Homeschool Summer To-do List


Saw this at my parents' house...made me laugh. Such a typical summer to-do list for homeschoolers. I especially liked the last item on the list.

School options for Sammy have been on my mind this year. I really want her to do preschool a couple days a week, just to play and get social time, but I don't know if we can afford it. Mom brought up that I could do Joy School, or a preschool co-op, but I don't want to be social, I just want Sammy to be. I don't know if I'm that lady that organizes all the moms for stuff like that, and I have no idea who in our neighborhood I would even ask to do it with me. We just moved here a few months ago, and I really haven't clicked with anyone yet.

Also, I was thinking that I probably won't homeschool my kids. I really like structure and routine, and one of the most attractive things about homeschool is the freedom of it all. The freedom to explore whatever interests you, go on crazy roadtrips and fieldtrips when all the other kids are behind a chain link fence in the schoolyard, set your own schedule, and condense 7 drawn-out hours of school into 2. If I homechooled my kids I would probably be very structured, thus missing the point.

Of course, I have no idea how the public school system really functions. Maybe I'll hate sending my kids to school and decide to keep them home. Maybe I'll send my kids to public school and feel guilty the rest of my life for doing it, because all I heard growing up was how great homeschool was, and how unlucky those poor public school kids were.

Note to self: maybe you should take it one thing at a time and decide what to do with the preschool situation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment