Sunday, July 3, 2011

Another Talk about Faith



Faith...we hear a lot about it. During a church lesson last Sunday, the teacher talked about how after her first husband died of an illness, she thought for a long time that it was her fault--she just hadn't had enough faith to save him. Wow! That really got me to question what I believe about faith. I don't know how much the Lord interferes in the workings of a fallen world--I know He lets the rain fall on the just and the unjust (Matthew 5:45), that He lets life happen. However, I also know He can change outcomes for us.

This past week I read a letter from my cousin Sarah talking about what she's learned about faith from her mission. She said:

"I've learned that faith isn't manufacturing belief in some particular outcome. It is trust and belief in Christ, it is judging him faithful who has promised. Faith is in the Lord, not in an event. With faith, we can and do what the Lord needs us to do, and we can have the confidence to ask for what needs to happen and the Lord will show his power for our good. Miracles happen, I have never seen them change the behavior of a person, but it is nice to receive the help that we need in response to faith."

I agree with Sarah. Faith is not so much believing that the Lord will get us that job, help us sell a house, or heal our illness. (If I just believe hard enough, it will happen!) Faith is believing that whatever happens, the Lord will cause all things to work together for our good. (Romans 8:28)

0 comments:

Post a Comment