Thursday, February 3, 2011

Skinny Jeans


I bought skinny jeans. Yes, I know--the only people who look good in them have the body of a 14-year-old and no hips. However, thanks to the miracle of breastfeeding, I now weigh the same as I did when I was 14. Unfortunately, thanks to the miracle of childbirth, my hips are a lot wider than when I was 14. So they aren't great for my body shape, but they look great with my boots. I've started looking around me and realizing that I'm going to have to move out of my comfort zone of flare and boot-cut. All the cool people are wearing skinny jeans.
One of my favorite poems I found in college:
(Lest you should think that I don't love my hips)
homage to my hips
by Lucille Clifton

these hips are big hips
they need space to
move around in.
they don't fit into little
petty places. these hips
are free hips.
they don't like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top!

1 comments:

Charity Z said...

This poem made me laugh out loud! I feel your pain-my hips and butt (and all other curves)are gone with breastfeeding too. Oh well, at least I don't have to exercise!

Post a Comment