Saturday, August 11, 2012

There and Back Again


We started out our summer peacefully, pulling weeds in the fresh mornings, taking luxurious naps in the lazy afternoons, and playing board games long into the quiet gloaming. Well, I got to take naps, anyway. Our relaxing/boring summers seem to rapidly morph into these massive journeys, and this year was no different. We left our mountain home in July and travelled to Nebraska, Paris, Venice, and Chicago before finally returning about a month later. I think we can all agree that the main point of going on vacations is so that you can bore people with your stories and pictures when you get back, and since that's the way its been for hundreds of years, I see no reason to break with tradition now.

Nebraska:



We loved hanging out with Nana and Poppy in Omaha, and our favorite thing to do there was playing by the lake. We almost always ended up being mermaids--Sammy gave Cici the mermaid name of Kayak, and her name was San Diego. She must have ran out of good names by the time she got to me, because I ended up with the name Trampoline. Austin turned 29!

Paris:



Paris didn't start off on a great foot. Our airport bus dropped us off at the Arc de Triomphe, and after we checked it out Austin thought it would be a good idea to give me the map and have me tell him what street we were supposed to walk down to get to our hotel.


That's the Arc in the middle


With my famed navigating skills, I managed to take us all the way around the massive traffic circle (under the scorching Paris sun) until we ended up one street away from where we had started. Oh man.


Look, we're really in Paris! Right after we took this picture, (probably as revenge for earlier annoyances,) Austin told me to look down at the river, where I was greeted by the sight of a hairy, Speedo-clad Parisian man soaking up the sun. Thanks, Austin. Now one of my lasting memories of Paris.


As part of our romantic vacation to Paris, Austin took us to the Sewer Museum. This is a picture of him standing by a display of stuffed rats. Basically, you pay money to walk around the sewers of Paris and like all museums, end up in a gift shop at the end. (With toy rats though.) I was very disappointed with their bathrooms. You would think the bathrooms in a sewer museum would be pretty incredible, but instead they were pretty gross. I came across an incredible variety of bathrooms during our travels. Someday I will write the coffee-table book, "Bathrooms of the World," and offer advance copies to any readers of this blog. !!!


Venice:


Ahhh, Venice! We got upgraded to a tower room...I never wanted to leave. I've always wanted to live in a tower.


Getting lost was actually kind of enjoyable in Venice. You can't go too far wrong on an island.



Goodbye, Venice! Back to the good ol' U.S.




On the way back, I discovered the real reason people like airport lounges: it's not the drinks, it's the airplane-shaped gummies.


I also discovered the real reason we went to Europe: so Austin could experience the new 747-8I business class on the way back. 


Chicago:


Hello Chicago!

Hello San Diego!


Thanks to Nana for staying with us in Chicago and for taking us fun places like the Children's Museum.


They expect a lot from the kids there.

Good thing I know a lot about sewers now.

And now back to our humdrum real life:


0 comments:

Post a Comment